Never A Truer Word Spoken

Went back to the Shepparton Art Festival yesterday!

Had the pleasure of listening to some sick poetry with some friends. We all made the special trip from Bendigo to Shepparton just for this.

I’d never actually heard any spoken word performances before so this was quite the experience.
The vibe of the hotel courtyard was so relaxed, it really fit the whole theme of the festival. Everybody else was there to enjoy some poetry as well, it really completed the atmosphere.

So, we’re all sitting there just waiting and the poets are all introduced. Never have I seen four more unique individuals. Their appearances and personalities all loud and confident. Not quite like the satirical representations you see in modern works of fiction, but still oddly fitting of their career choice.

As I said above, I’d never been to a performance like this before. I didn’t know what to expect, but I certainly didn’t expect to experience the entire possible spectrum of emotions known to man.
I felt joy at the opening piece by Joel McKerrow, the overwhelming self-confidence stemming from the parts of you that you can’t change. The biological components of you that you’re born with can still be the parts of you that you can be most proud of.

I felt sadness at the telling of Abe Nouk’s life story, but also determination. The idea that some parents will sacrifice everything to ensure the safety of their children, to provide a better life for them, sounds incredibly depressing. Yet, it also inspires me to live a life that also provides safety for my future children.

I felt great respect for all that Soreti Kadir spoke of. She was actively making a difference in the world that is one of the greatest things a person can do with their time on earth. Another thing to happen was that she forgot the words to a piece half way through, but she wasn’t bothered by it at all, she just continued on with something else. I think that’s the coolest thing, it taught me that it’s okay to make mistakes and to not let them hold me back.

Lastly, and I believe most importantly, I want to mention a piece presented by Rik the Most. He spoke of anxiety and depression in a way I’d never heard before. This is especially important to me as I’m struggling with both of those right now and have been for a long time. He compared them to a physical illness like diabetes and how if you are a diabetic, you’d take insulin. It was powerful and a piece I don’t think I’ll ever forget.


That was my experience at the Shepparton festival, and it was completely amazing. I can’t wait to go back next year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home

A New Adventure!